Monday 5 December 2016

IELTS Speaking : How to Greet The Examiner

In this lesson we are going to look at the beginning of your IELTS speaking test. This is when you walked into the IELTS speaking examination room and you greet the examiner for the first time. This is before part one begin. You will need to greet the examiner and do identification check. We can call this part zero.
 

There are 4 questions to part zero. I am going to give you the question and give you some useful tips. So that you can be confidence in your answer and give a good face impression to the examiner. So let's start with the first question. 

In first question, the examiner will introduce him or her self. The examiner would give you their name. The examiner is going to say :
The Examiner : Good afternoon, my name's Elizabeth Ferguson. What's your full name? or maybe they might say "Could you tell me your full name?"
Your answer : Good afternoon (Elizabeth), my name's Vicky Prajaputra
and  you need to answer "good afternoon, Elizabeth". You can give the name of the examiner or not. It is your choice. And then you can say "my name's Vicky Prajaputra". It is a simple question and simple answer, but I still have some tips.
  • If you are going to use the name of the examiner and say "good afternoon, Elizabeth", please dont give a title. This is in correct in english. We dont use a title with first name. So if you are going to use the name of the examiner, only say "good afternoon, Elizabeth". But if you don't comfortable using the name of the examiner, it is fine. It isn't a problem. you can just say "good afternoon". 
  • When you give your name, there are 2 tips I want you to remember. The first tip is when you say "my name's Vicky Prajaputra", please dont say "My name is Vicky Prajaputra". I want you to use the contraction (My name's). The reason this is important is because this is part of pronunciation. When you contracted a word from is to "my name's", then this is high level pronunciation. So remember that in your IELTS exam and try to use it as much as you can. The other tip is when you give your name, please dont speak quickly. I want you to say clearly because sometimes is difficult for the examiner to hear. 
  • And of course the last point is smile. Dont forget to smile because this is your chance to greet the examiner and be friendly as your confidence. So smile, look at the examiner in the eyes and relax.
The second question is very easy. the examiner will ask you :
The examiner : what can I call you?
There are 3 ways that you can reply. you could say "you can call me Vicks" or you could say "just call me Vicks" or "please call me Vicks". So those of three possible answer that you can give. Now for some tips : 
  • My first tip is please do not explain why people call you this. You are going to give the examiner simple clear answer. You dont need add more information. 
  • I know some of you have english name and of course you can give the examiner your english name. You can say "you can call me by my English name, Rose". This is fine but please remember do not make a mistake with that sentence. If you dont have an english name, please dont worry. It doesn't matter.
Lets have a look at the third question. The examiner will ask you :
The Examiner : where are you from? or the examiner might say "could you tell me where you come from?"
Now let me give you some possible answer. You could say "I'm from Hanoi" or You could say "I come from Hanoi". You can also add more information if you want (not too much, just a little bit). You could say "I'm from Calcuta which is in the East of India. It is good added a little bit more information and it showed the examiner good grammar. Now lets have a look some tips.
  • Please don't expand any further. Dont ask the examiner any questions. For the example, Don't says "I come from Hanoi, Have you been there?". Dont give the examiner recommendation. Dont says "I come from Hanoi. I think you really should go there". So please don't do that. Just keep it simple, short and accurate.
  • Use english pronunciation of names.
  • Please try to use the english pronunciation.
Lets move to the last question. The examiner will ask you :
The examiner : could I see your identification, please? or the examiner might say "can you show me your identification, please?"
Now for your answer, of course you need to give the examiner your identification and you can also say "here you are" or "Sure. Here you are" or "Of course. Here it is". So you can choice any other answer. Now for some tips:
  • Identification is often called "ID"
  • Keep your answer short. You can choice one of the example. Dont make it any longer.
  • It is possible for you to actually say nothing and give the examiner your identification. But I think it's nice if you say something.
So those all the four question for part zero (greeting the examiner and do the identification check). Please do more practice. Dont forget to smile and relax when you do the test. Well, Thats all for this lesson. I will see you in the next lesson.